Charcoal for sale_price_quantity-6227_Bruce_3840 px

Preventing carbon monoxide poisoning in African homes


Each year in sub-Saharan Africa more than 6000 deaths are recorded from carbon monoxide poisoning from use of charcoal for cooking and heating. In fact many deaths from CO go unreported and the burden is likely much greater. These lost lives typically involve children and include young, otherwise healthy, adults. Such deaths are preventable (through awareness of the harmful effects of this odourless colorless gas and through adoption of clean household energy such as LPG and electricity). Working with CLEAN-Air(Africa), Profs Nigel Bruce and Daniel Pope have created a powerful film highlighting the issue of CO poisoning in Kenya and prevention through community health systems strengthening from Universal Health Coverage. Released today alongside the International Energy Agency (IEA) #CleanCookingSummit the documentary can be viewed here:



Related Updates